The region, with a series of bayous feeding into the Gulf of Mexico, first attracted attention as a place for winter homes about 1876. Some of the newly arrived visitors spotted tarpon jumping out of the waters and so named the location Tarpon Springs. The first Greek immigrants arrived in this city during the 1880s, when they were hired to work as divers in the growing sponge harvesting industry.

In 1905, John Cocoris introduced the technique of sponge diving to Tarpon Springs. Cocoris recruited Greek sponge divers from the Dodecanese Islands of Greece, in particular Kalymnos, Symi and Halki leading, by the 1930s, to a very productive sponge industry in Tarpon Springs, generating millions of dollars a year. The 1953 film Beneath the 12-Mile Reef, depicting sponge diving, takes place and was filmed in Tarpon Springs.

When a red tide algae bloom occurred in 1947, wiping out the sponge fields in that region of the Gulf of Mexico, most of the sponge boats and divers switched to fishing and shrimping for a livelihood. The city then converted most of its sponge-related activities, especially the warehouses where they were sold, into tourist attractions. The Sponge Docks are now mostly shops, restaurants, and museums dedicated to the memory of Tarpon Springs’ earlier industry. Most sponges sold on the docks are now imports; relatively few sponges are harvested from the area, although attempts have been made in recent years to restart local sponge harvesting. Led by local businessman George Billiris, in the late 1980s the sponge industry made a comeback, and in the fall of 2007 a record harvest of sponges by a single boat was made.

In 2007 and 2008, Tarpon Springs’ mayor, Beverley Billiris, established Sister City relationships with Kalymnos, Halki, Symi, and Cyprus, honoring the close historical link with these Greek islands.

Source: Wikipedia

First National Bank of Tarpon Springs (12274)

Tarpon Springs Post Card

Tarpon Springs Post Card

022 (4)

Tarpon Springs Post Card Tarpon Springs Post Card


1902 Plain Back $5 Note Charter #12274

1902 Plain Back $5 Note
Charter #12274

Signed by J.C. McCrocklin, Cashier and Ernest Muse, Vice President.

November 8, 1922 was the date that the First National Bank of Tarpon Springs was organized and hired Charles H. Brown as President and W.D. Fletcher, Cashier. In August of 1928 the Bank of Commerce and Trust Co. of Tarpon Spring was absorbed by First National creating a new bank title, the First National Bank of Commerce of Tarpon Springs. The bank later fell on hard times eventually falling into receivership on October 26, 1933.